Great advice from Nicholas Bate
|11 Ways to Improve an ‘Assigned’ Presentation
Posted: 14 Aug 2016 12:16 AM PDT
You’ve been given a slide deck and told ‘deliver this’. But it’s pretty awful.
- Run through it a couple of times on your own. What’s its natural timing? Where is it awful/clunky/boring?
- Replace a slide or two with a story.
- Replace a slide or two with a picture.
- Replace a slide or two with an interactive exercise.
- Now create a powerful start: maybe some startling figures which reveal the depth of the problem.
- Now ensure there is a Q&A before
- Your powerful summary and
- Your call to action: what is it you want the audience to do differently having invested this time with you?
- Now read this and this
- Repeat 2. Adjust. Deliver. Learn.
STORY THOUGHTS – Use every opportunity to share
If your instincts tell you that people would like to hear your story, share it, use an event or internal session to share your stories. Have a couple of stories in your top pocket – people will remember you through your stories.
STORY THOUGHTS: Mix it up
Use different ways of communicating, different materials.
It does not have to be PowerPoint all the time.
How about using the flip chart to tell your tale?
My last big pitch for business was on three sheets of A3. The company following me had forty-four slides.